Most recipes call for shredding uncooked cauliflower and then steaming or microwaving until soft.
I like to roast my cauliflower as it gives it extra depth of flavor. It's simple and a step you don't want to skip!
Mix in your favorite herbs and spices. Experiment with an Italian version one day and perhaps an Indian variety the next.
1 medium head of Cauliflower
1 Cage Free or Free Range Egg, beaten
1/2 cup shredded Cheese (Mozzarella, Italian Blend, Pepper Jack - whatever you prefer)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon dried Basil OR 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped Basil
1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano
Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper to taste
Other spices and additions to consider: Shredded Carrot, Potato, Onion, Garlic.
Try a Tex-Mex version with cumin or Taco Seasoning
How about an Indian version with Turmeric, Garam Masala or Tandoori Masala?
Top with your favorite tomato or pesto sauce, veggies, cheese, herbs, and proteins
**Thara's tip: Bake your Cauliflower crust before adding toppings so that it will be crispy. If you put your toppings on at the same time as it bakes, it will be soggy.
1. Chop Cauliflower into bite size pieces and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Roast at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and tender
2. When cooled a bit, either finely chop by hand or process in a food processor until the pieces are broken up
3. Combine in a bowl with 1 beaten egg, cheese, herbs and spices. Mix until everything is combined
**If the mixture is too wet, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour
4. Spread mixture with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula onto a sprayed baking sheet into a circular or square shape making sure that it is even in thickness. The thinner you spread the mixture out, the crispier the crust will be
5. Top with a sprinkle of Cheese to get a golden brown crust, and if desired, a drizzle of Olive Oil. I sprayed the top of mine with Cooking Spray and it turned out great
6. Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes. Check to make sure is is cooked all the way through and the bottom is crispy. If not, return to the oven for a few minutes
7. Serve as is - or top with your favorite toppings and bake for a few minutes until the sauce is warm and your cheese has melted
A healthy alternative to satisfy your pizza craving!
Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!