This meal comes together in just a few minutes if you plan ahead and have all the ingredients on hand.
Indian inspired Tex-Mex Tostadas are bursting with a variety of flavors: Warm Garam Masala Roasted Butternut Squash, Spicy Refried Beans, Crisp Purple Cabbage, Tangy Feta Cheese, Scallions and Cilantro for bite and it's topped with a cool Greek Yogurt Dressing. I love the high contrast of flavors that turn a simple meal into an International Stunner.
Play around with your favorite flavors - this recipe is versatile to fit your mood! Use the same fillings for a burrito bowl with cilantro-lime rice or as stuffing for a burrito or taco. The possibilities are endless!
- 1 peeled, cubed, butternut squash (or do like I sometimes do, and buy it already prepared - a real timesaver!)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala (if you don't have this spice blend, then use Cumin, Coriander, Tandoori Masala - any of your favorite Indian Spices or just use some Taco Seasoning to amp up the flavor)
- 1 can Vegetarian Refried Beans or Reduced Sodium Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese (your favorite variety)
- Shredded Purple Cabbage (if you don't like this, then use romaine or any other crisp lettuce)
- Chopped Scallions
- Cilantro - whole leaves or chopped
- Feta Cheese (use what you like here. I love the combination of the tangy feta with the spicy beans and warm notes in the butternut squash. If you prefer a milder cheese, then go for it! Queso Fresco or even
- 8 oz Greek Yogurt + 1 Teaspoon Taco Seasoning (substitute sour cream if you don't like yogurt)
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
2. Peel, remove seeds and cube butternut squash into a small dice OR open up a package of already cleaned and diced squash
3. Toss with 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon of Garam Masala or your favorite seasonings
4. Spread onto a sheet pan and bake for 18-20 minutes - until fork tender
1. Heat beans, butter and seasonings in a small pot until warmed through
2. Add in cheese and stir until it melts
Putting it all together:
1. Heat your tostada, taco shells or tortillas
2. Spread on a thin layer of beans
3. Top with a few spoons of Butternut Squash
4. Pile on the toppings! Shredded cabbage, scallions, cilantro, feta cheese and drizzle with the yogurt sauce to finish it off.
Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!