Healthy, Crunchy, Satisfying Quinoa Casserole bursting with Greek Flavors : Spinach, Artichokes, Tomatoes and Feta Cheese. A simple, hearty lunch or dinner that comes together in no time.
- 2 1/2 cups Cooked Quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups Feta Cheese (Regular or Fat Free to keep it light)
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional for a cheesy crust)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella or any Italian blend)
- 1 cup Marinated Artichoke Hearts (in oil)
- 1 cup Chopped Fresh Spinach
- 1 cup Diced Cherry Tomatoes
- 4-5 Chopped Basil Leaves (can substitute parsley if you don't have basil)
- 1/2 cup Milk (Skim or 2%)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions. I add some roasted garlic, a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper for extra flavor
2. Chop spinach, cherry tomatoes, basil and artichoke hearts and set aside
3. In a food processor, combine 1 cup of feta, milk, garlic and lemon juice, blending until smooth
4. When the quinoa is cooked and slightly cooled, add vegetables, shredded cheese and 1 tbsp oil from the artichokes and stir all together. Pour in the feta sauce, combine, and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer the mixture to an oven safe dish (I used a 9" square, but if you want more surface area for an extra crunchy topping, use a larger dish)
6. Top with remaining 1/4 cup feta and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a little olive oil over the cheese to ensure a nice, brown crust
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. If the top isn't brown, broil for a few minutes
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Cakes
Serve with soup or salad or enjoy a large portion for a standalone meal
I have topped this casserole with scallions, chopped parsley and caramalized onions (picture above). Kalamata olives or capers would also add a nice, salty bite
Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!