Pin me!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Baked Mini Donuts!

I'm a sucker for mini-desserts and mini baked donuts have been on my to-do list for sometime. . . Grandma and Grandpa bought me the cutest donut baking pan and we whipped up a batch yesterday.  They turned out to be something between a cakey donut and the traditional type.  Either way, they are super delish and super stylish indeed!


Nutella and Sprinkles




There are many recipes for baked donuts online and in the interest of getting these ready quickly for a mid-afternoon snack, I chose a recipe that didn't require yeast.  The result was a more dense, cakey type donut which was conducive to soaking up the tangerine glaze.


So fun!
I used a small ice cream scoop to fill these and pushed the dough around with a  spatula.  I would fill them slightly less next time around, which would probably yield 3-4 more donuts!


You can find the original recipe here: My Culinary Journal.  I made just a few adjustments below in pink:



Ingredients :

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tub (150 gm ) plain yogurt (I used a little more than 5 oz. of greek yogurt that I diluted a bit with water since it tends to be thicker than regular yogurt)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method :
  1. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
  2. Combine the egg, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  4. Coat the tube pans with nonstick cooking spray 
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
  6. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Tangerine Glaze and Powdered Sugar

Chocolate Banana Creme and Sprinkles!

Drizzle with your favorite glaze, chocolate spread, nutella etc. etc.  The possibilities are endless!  I whipped up a quick tangerine glaze with the juice of 1/4th of a tangerine and about 1/3-1/2 cup of powdered sugar.  The remaining donuts were generously covered with nutella and banana chocolate creme

Getting ready to frost and glaze
Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!


2 comments:

  1. These look sooo yummy! Thanks for posting. I've been looking for donut pans and thought I'd find them at Target or the 2 grocery stores by my place. No luck, though. Where'd your grandparents find the pans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene,

    We found this pan at World Market, but you should be able to find them on Amazon or at a speciality store like Sur La Table as well. Good luck!

    Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!

    ReplyDelete