Pin me!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pesto, Sundried Tomato, Feta and Walnut Palmiers

Ina Garten aka The Barefoot Contessa is my ABSOLUTE favorite!  I could watch her show all day long. . . I overlook the fact that most of her recipes call for two sticks of butter, because she calls it out herself and she's just so darn lovable!  I love how she loves to cook and bake for Jeffrey and all of her friends in the Hamptons.  It's on my bucket list to meet The Contessa herself. . . I was THIS CLOSE when she came to Dallas for a book signing a few months ago, but I sorely underestimated the swarms of fans that descended down upon The NorthPark MallThe line was wrapped around a dozen times and extended out to the freeway!    Guess we'll just have to plan a trip to the Hamptons!!!

Ina's Savory Palmier recipe below. . . I put my own spin on it primarily based on my love of Feta CheeseThis was another dish served at our recent appetizer and dessert party.  So good, that I made them again for Christmas Dinner and for New Years Brunch with a spicy Indian filling.  Crispy on the outside, warm and a bit soft on the inside with big, bold flavors. . . Once you master the art of palmier folding, the options are endless! 



Recipe adapted from The Barefoot Contessa.  My additions in pink!

Ingredients:
  • 1 package frozen Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, defrosted
  • 1/2 cup prepared pesto, store bought or homemade (I used a combination of 1/4 cup basil pesto and 1/4 cup sun dried tomato pest0 and upped the quantity from 1/4 total for 2 sheets to per sheet for more flavor)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (I used feta because that's all I had and it tasted great!)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil, drained (I only had the kind not in oil, so  chopped some up and let them sit in olive oil for 15 minutes - that softened them up a bit)
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (lightly toasted, chopped walnuts matched up well with the pesto and feta combo I made- feel free to add more if you like a little extra crunch - I did! )
  • Kosher salt



Directions:

Lightly flour a board and carefully unfold one sheet of puff pastry. Roll the pastry lightly with a rolling pin until it's 9 1/2 by 11 1/2-inches. Spread the sheet of puff pastry with half the pesto, then sprinkle with half the goat cheese, half the sundried tomatoes, and half the pine nuts. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. (I left this out as the pesto, tomatos and feta are already pretty salty)


Working from the short ends, fold each end halfway to the center. Then fold each side again towards the center until the folded edges almost touch. Fold one side over the other and press lightly. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat the entire instructions for the second sheet of puff pastry using the remaining ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 45 minutes. (prepare one sheet at a time, keeping the second one in the fridge so that it stays cold, which will make it easier to work with)


Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.


Cut the prepared rolls of puff pastry in 1/4 inch thick slices and place them face up 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (I used a silpat and they slid right off). Bake for 14-16 minutes minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.



Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!


No comments:

Post a Comment