I've been getting a lot of coupons from Pillsbury lately and I'm not going to lie, sometimes it's easier to just buy their dough!
These little Caprese Bites are easy and stylish which is always a winning combination in my book!
I made 2 variations on the recipe below and both were equally delicious! The second version uses Grands Flaky biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 pieces so that you end up with 20 rounds. Fill with pesto, mozzerella and bake 14 minutes. Top with diced tomato. I'll post picutres of the second version soon!
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury. How to Video
My additions in orange
- 1 container (8 oz) fresh mozzarella ciliegine cheese (24 cherry-size balls) Drain really well and pat dry with a paper towel
- 1 can (11 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated original breadsticks (12 breadsticks) Keep refrigerated until ready to use
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 frilled toothpicks
- 24 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 24 fresh basil leaves I totally forgot the basil and they still tasted great. I think a little basil confetti would have looked pretty on the platter. . . next time!
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. Drain cheese balls; pat dry with paper towels.
- On work surface, unroll dough; separate into 12 breadsticks. Cut each breadstick in half crosswise; press each half into 3x2-inch rectangle.
- Spread rounded 1/4 teaspoon of the pesto lengthwise down center of each dough rectangle. Place 1 cheese ball on each rectangle. Carefully stretch dough around cheese; pinch edges to seal completely. Place seam sides down in muffin cups. Brush with oil (I sprayed them with Olive Oil flavored Pam) ; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (I used some pecorino romano since I had it on hand)
- Bake 14 to 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan. With each toothpick, spear tomato and basil leaf; insert into cheese ball. Serve warm
|I used a less pesto than listed on the recipe|
|All rolled up! Place these seam side down into the mini muffin tin.|
|All lined up and ready to bake. Some cheese and pesto may ooze out. Don't worry, they will harden after cooled.|
|Browned and Ooey Gooey Delicousness|
These bites are best served warm. Keep them at a low temperature in the oven and skewer them right before serving so that the tomato stays cool and in tact.
Happy Cooking and Happy Styling!